Vanilla & Fresh Lime Creme Brulee
( MAKES 12 portions )
This French classic Dessert is Special, as always a favourite treat with a unique flavour to enjoy anytime.
- To make this Recipe you will need, a heavy bottom pot, hand whisk, fine sieve, pouring jug, deep dish baking tray, Tin foil, 12 Medium ramekins, a blow torch, rubber spatula. preheat Oven on Fan Bake to 160 C. Place your ramekins on the baking tray evenly spaced ready.
- In a Heavy bottom Sauce pot, pour 2 litres fresh cream, 1 cup caster sugar, zest of 5 limes, vanilla seeds of 1 pod and slowly bring up to heat, stirring to let flavours combine. you want the mixture to just come up to heat before boiling point. you want the sugar melted.
- While cream mixture is heating, crack 20 eggs and seperate the yolks in a bowl. once mixture is heated slowly pour over egg yolks and at the same time slowly whisking until all mixed through and not to over whisk.
- Then pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a pouring jug to catch all the lime zest and infused pod. pour mixture into the ramekins gently to 3 quarters full
- The brulees will be cooked in a hot water bath in the trays to allow even cooking. gently pour hot water into the trays to come half way to the ramekins. over tray with tin foil and cook at 160 C for 25, check after 25mins as you want the mixture needs to be just set and have a slight wobble through the centre. if need more time, leave for 5 minutes and check.
- once ready carefully take out of tray and place in fridge to set for 4 hours. once set evenly sprinkle caster sugar on top and blow torch until a semi dark golden caramel, having few burnt bits is ok as you have a contrast of flavours. wait few minutes for caramel to harden and enjoy.