Economical savoury dish
Mum used to make this comfort food when times were tough. And yes it is tastier than you think. Whilst the original recipe is just fried onions, bread crumbs, eggs and tasty cheese it is easy to add herbs and seasonings according to taste.
- Fry onions slowly in oil then place in greased dish. (If I have garlic, ginger or celery I may or may not add depending on my nostalgic mood) The more generous you are with onions the better the dish.
- Cover with a layer of breadcrumbs, and make small indents in which to place the eggs.
- Break in whole eggs on top of breadcrumbs - cracking yolks makes for a better dish and sprinkle over seasonings of choice e.g. Salt and pepper, chives. Number of eggs according to taste but again the more the better.
- Cover with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and knobs of butter. (A little paprika doesn't go amiss)
- Bake in moderate oven 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Amounts are subjective, use what you have got and adjust according to what you have on hand.