Reader recipe: Corned beef with mustard sauce
Very easy, takes much less time than other methods, always turns out delicious and tender.
- Rinse the corned beef and place beef brisket in pressure cooker.
- Add all other ingredients, making sure the water just covers the surface of the meat. Cover and lock lid and bring to boil. Place the pressure regulator on the vent once it has come to the boil; this allows all the air to escape the pressure cooker. Reduce heat on to medium. Cook meat at 15 psi for 50 minutes. The pressure regulator will rock slowly whilst cooking.
- After 50 minutes remove the cooker from the heat and allow pressure to go down. Remove cover carefully and transfer corned beef to a chopping board and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly, going against the grain, and serve.
- Whilst the meat is resting make the mustard sauce by beating the egg and sugar together in a saucepan. Then add the flour, mustard, pepper and salt. For the liquid you can use beef stock or the broth the meat was cooked in, but test it first for saltiness. Stir in the liquid gradually whilst cooking over a slow to medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Excellent serving accompaniments are baked potatoes with sour cream and boiled vegetables such as carrots, leeks and cauliflour.