Sweet Pumpkin Cakes
( MAKES 8 )
Ever since I was a kid, I have loved to eat sweet pumpkin cakes. They are crispy on the outside and chewy and sweet on the inside. You can find them anywhere in China, but nowhere in New Zealand. So I decided to make my own when I get homesick.
- Steam some pumpkin, mash it up and measure out one cup (200g)
- Taste pumpkin and add sugar to complement sweetness of the pumpkin.
- Add both flours to steamed pumpkin mixture
- Knead into a dough. Dough should be firm enough to roll into balls. Adjust moisture content to your own situation.
- Roll into balls and flatten out like cookies. I stamped them with a little mooncake stamp to make them look pretty :)
- Place pan on medium heat and add a decent amount of oil. If you skimp on oil you skimp on crispiness.
- Once pan is heated, add your pumpkin dough patties onto the pan and cook until both sides are golden and crisp.
- Place onto a paper towel to remove excess grease.