Steak and chip salad - made just a little bit fancy
( SERVES 4 )
I wanted to do my own spin on my Dads's much loved meal - steak and chips with a fried egg. I decided to recreate the dish into a salad using delicious eye fillet, kumara crisps, caramelised red onion and soft boiled eggs. Here it is!
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Add slices of golden kumara into a bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt (to remove excess moisture) and toss lightly. After 5 minutes, dab the slices dry with a paper towel. In a small saucepan, take enough coconut oil to fill to a depth of at least 5cm. Bring the oil to 150 degrees. In small batches, add the slices of golden kumara. Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove and allow to drain on a paper towel. Put these to the side.
- Oil your meat before searing each side on a high heat for 2-3 minutes until nice and brown. Transfer the beef to the oven cooking for 10 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest. Slice your beef to your desired thickness.
- Get yourself a small saucepan and fill it just over half way with water. Bring it to the boil and add a pinch of salt. Take each egg onto a spoon and dip in and out of the water (to prevent the egg cracking) before gently lowering it into the water. Cook the eggs for 7 minutes to achieve a runny yolk with firm whites. Run your eggs under cold water immediately and peel the shells.
- In a large serving bowl, take your rocket, sliced red onion, kumara crisps and beef and toss lightly. Season to taste topping with halved eggs. To finish, drizzle with olive oil and serve.