Mini butter chicken pies
( MAKES 16 mini pies )
This recipe is one of my most popular among friends and family, and such a crowd pleaser at gatherings. The current record sits at eight mini pies eaten in one sitting!
- Preheat oven to 180 celcius. Defrost your pastries, and cut the shortcrust pastry into circles that fit your muffin tin (I use a large wine glass or something similar to cut the circle shape), making sure it goes right to the top of the sides of the muffin tip.
- Peel and chop your kumara and carrot into 1cm pieces. Boil in water until just cooked. Meanwhile, pull your chicken off the bone and set aside.
- Drain water from your kumara and carrot pot, and add the shredded chicken and Pathak's Butter Chicken Sauce to the pot. Mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, dollop the butter chicken mixture into your prepared pastry cases, filling to 3/4 of the way to the top of the case.
- Cut the puff pastry with a smaller circular glass or instrument, to fit the tops of your muffin tin. Place on top of your pies and gently press the sides together with the top of the pastry cases, to seal. Use a knife to gently slice 2-3 parallel lines in the lid of your pie pastry, to allow for air ventilation. Brush the tops of the pies with beaten egg and sprinkle the tops of the pies with sesame seeds (optional).
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 until brown on top. Serve immediately. Alternatively, you can make one large family-size butter chicken pie by pressing the pastry into a large pie dish, instead of muffin tins.