Winter entertaining with Michael Van de Elzen
Michael Van de Elzen is one of New Zealand’s most loved chefs having starred on a number of television shows. Michael is passionate about healthy food, particularly now he and his family are living on a life-style block out west Auckland. Look out for his Good From Scratch logo which guarantees products that are healthy and his recipes that are healthy, convenient and quick to prepare.
- Preparation is key! The more you can prepare ahead of time the better; That way you won’t spend the whole time in the kitchen and you’ll be able to actually catch up with your guests.
- If you’re hosting a sit down dinner, try serving dishes family-style instead of plating each course up for individual guests. It saves both time and the washing up after!
- Dishes that guests can nibble at and you can keep rolling out are perfect to keep everyone fed if you have a group. These ribs are a perfect example – you can prepare the rub and glaze ahead of time and then cook in batches as required.
- Whilst cooking cucumber is a bit different, I served this salad with some woodfired squid when I was working in London and it was a real hit! You could also try it with some freshly smoked fish to cut down on time.
- Having multiple salads are a great way to feed big groups, especially if you’re travelling. You can prepare the salad and dressing separately, then combine them just before serving. Salads are also a great way to make sure all dietary requirements are catered for; they’re easy to tweak to suit vegans, vegetarians, gluten free and dairy free diets.
- By making a dish like this for dessert, it gives you a reason to get the kids into the kitchen and involved. It doesn’t really need to look beautiful and perfect, but it tastes amazing.