Vogel’s festive season fix #2: The bun on the run
Meet the bun-on-the-run, the silly season saviour that you can have prepared ahead for all of those scenarios that require a hit-the-spot hand-held meal; such as the busy pre-Christmas days that have you out the door early with something to eat on the run. A house full of guests that require a quick breakfast before they depart. The day-after bacon and egg pick-me-up when the festivities of the night before see you lacking the functionality to actually cook…
Cook them up, wrap them up, store them in the fridge overnight and reap the rewards the next day. Vogel’s wholemeal buns are gluten free and dairy free so those special dietary requirements are also well considered.
Best bacon and egg bun
4 Vogel’s gourmet wholemeal buns
4 large free range eggs
8 rashers middle bacon
Tomato relish (see recipe below)
1. Split the Vogel’s gourmet wholemeal buns in half and set to the side.
2. Fry the bacon in a hot pan until crispy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
3. Use the same pan to fry the eggs in the bacon fat. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Give each bun half a quick fry in the pan, cut-side down.
5. Spread the bottom of each bun with tomato relish, top with an egg and some bacon and the top half of the bun.
6. Serve straight away or wrap in plastic food wrap and refrigerate overnight, warming them in a toasted sandwich maker or frying pan with a lid to serve.
Make it vegetarian
Fill buns with slices of fried haloumi, rocket or spinach and tomato relish
Quick tomato relish
Bring 1 ½ kg chopped tomatoes, 1 sliced onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 red chilli (seeds removed), 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds and 150ml white wine vinegar to the boil. Boil for 30 minutes, stirring often. Add 150g sugar and continue to boil, stirring for another hour. Cool and store in fridge.